Monday, February 4, 2008

The President 1

It’s amazing how quickly I can read through this in comparison to Facundo. Sarmiento was aware how his excessive detailing would effect the reader, how it would make ones mind wonder and make reading arduous. But I suppose he didn’t care whether the experience of reading was pleasurable… he had more important goals? Anyway, I think Miguel Angel Asturias must have cared, because I enjoy reading this…

For a moment I thought that in the prison the crazy homeless people were representations or maybe windows into the emotional state of the two non-crazy people. Like they are just acting out and personifying the emotion of the sane people…

The crazy is an abstraction he is a representation of the state of the society which is in constant fear, uncertainty and turmoil.
“I am the Rose-apple of the bird of Paradise, I am life, half my body is a lie, the other half is truth….I give to everyone one glass eye and one real eye; those who see with my real glass see because they dream, those who see with my real eye see because they are looking!"

I’m not sure if this makes sense, but I think the crazy is this Rose-apple, if you look at him one way he’s just crazy, if you look at him in another way, he’s a true reflection of the entire state of things. Something like that.

And when the Police officer kills crazy his friend looks into crazies eye and it nearly makes him go mad. I think it could mean that when he looked into crazies eye, as he was being killed he saw with “the real eye” and saw the truth in crazy which is a truth about the entire state of the society.

I don’t know if this makes sense now, but it seemed clear to my as I while I was reading….

No comments: